Try our new canvas course!
The Academic Program Proposal, Evaluation and Review (APPEAR) system is used by academic officers to propose new academic programs and to request modifications to existing academic programs including:
- degree programs (undergraduate and graduate)
Submitting proposals should be done in accordance with local campus policies, and as directed by the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (EVCAA) on each IU campus.
Degree, certificate and major (including tracks, concentrations and specializations) proposals must be submitted into APPEAR by the 1st of the month in order to be considered at the monthly meeting of the Academic Leadership Council (ALC) Technical Committee (third Thursday). All other academic proposals must be submitted at least one week before the ALC Technical Committee meeting.
The public view of APPEAR allows users to view the Academic Action Tracking List. This provides a searchable tool which allows users to view program submissions and their approval dates once they have been approved at all necessary levels. Academic degree programs in APPEAR have been submitted for approval before the Indiana Commission on Higher Education (ICHE) as required by Indiana Law (IC 21-18-9-5). Programs listed meet the criteria for ICHE submission and have been approved by the Indiana University Board fo Trustees (BoT). Data presented here is in compliance with the Financial Transparency in Public Higher Education requirements set forth in HEA 1004-2011, and as codified within IC 5-14-3.6-3.See the public view of APPEAR
Programs that are submitted by the campus in the APPEAR system, approved at the campus level and are to advance to the Academic Leadership Council are considered "In Process." Once the final level of approval is completed, newly-authorized programs are listed within the public view of APPEAR.
See the current programs in process (authorization required)
The APPEAR system can be accessed through One.IU. For more detailed information on how to navigate the APPEAR system, view the developer notes.
APPEAR – Gaining Access
Access to enter items into APPEAR requires several steps.
- Permissions are granted only to campus Academic Affairs leadership. The Chancellor or their delegate determines who enters items to be routed for academic approval. This is not the responsibility of a campus dean or unit chair.
- Often, at the campus level, the entry of proposals into APPEAR is the responsibility of the Vice Provost, Senior Associate Vice Chancellor, Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (EVCAA) and/or their delegates, including roles such as the AVCAA and Graduate School.
- In the APPEAR architecture, there are 3 levels (1. Administrators, 2. Approval Members, 3. Campus Routing). Only the individual, who initially enters the proposal, has access. *(Level 2 allows access to all submitted proposals and is reserved for the Academic Leadership Council, and the ALC Technical Committee. Level 1 is limited to APPEAR administrators.)
- At Access level 3, users have the ability to:
- View information
- Modify information,
- Upload proposal documentation and supplemental materials. Coordination through the official delegate is essential as they serve as the campus approving authority.
Steps for Adding individuals for submitting proposals into APPEAR:
If new or additional members are needed for the ability to add proposals within APPEAR,
- The designated academic leader (EVCAA, VP, SAVC) must submit the request via e-mail to email@example.com indicating request to be added, role, rationale for add. Also state if a past delegate is to be removed/replaced.
- Upon receipt, the request will be reviewed and forwarded for Access Control Management (ACM) to add the individual user ID in APPEAR.
- Please allow 24-48 hours for completion of this process. Any level of access to APPEAR requires IU CAS login.
- Once added, the new user will be able to access APPEAR with the ability to upload, modify, and submit proposals for consideration.
APPEAR is available through One.IU.edu, or directly at https://one.iu.edu/launch-task/iu/appear.